On this project, i wanted to learn from my previous project (MKFR01 - Iron Man helmet type) and make an improved version and most successful, while remaining a functional prototype. Predator helmet was a good base for me.
Just like my previous version, i got a Pepakura version of a Predator helmet model. Well advanced, i modified the helmet structure to reflect my technical constraints, related to the screen, the IR LED and the ability to see through the openings for the eyes. At the same time, i brought my own personal touch on the helmet, while remaining sober.
The big difference with the previous model, is that i reinforced the cardboard structure with acrylic resin.
Finally, the helmet has a better resistance and a better fit. Once the helmet made, i could integrate functional systems inside. The screen located in the front part of the helmet is cooled by a fan. With different lighting systems, it has a very good vision in complete darkness at a distance between 40 meters and 60 meters. Without light emitting source except those IR (850).
Using another lens and a more powerful light, we could see much further (100 meters). One of the strong points of the system is that it is possible to mount various types of modules for lighting, and even, to add additional functional modules (laser pointer, etc). We can decide which module enable using the controls on the forearm. On this prototype, the modules can be installed and disassembled very quickly with a system of "magnetic fixation."For the final rendering, i wanted a "Amazon style" camouflage snake. For "Dreadlocks" i used traditional camouflage nets, because i wanted a predator helmet prototype adapted to our contemporary environment. My vision of the helmet.
The complete outfit, can blend into the landscape in the day. In total darkness, the set is "invisible" except with suitable equipment. Once fully painted, i added effects of wear in some places. In the end, this second prototype is satisfactory, it works perfectly in the dark. We can see the environment is displayed on the screen and at the same time see through the eye holes. Under these conditions, we could also see the source of a "drone" on the screen and move using the eyes of the helmet.
For the realization, i used two types of glue : Loctite Super Glue3 & Glue Gel Scotch.
For joints, i used : Plastic pipes & aluminum.
For cardboard, i used different types : Paper, Wood Paper, Canson Paper.
For resin, i used Acrylic resin.
Sandpaper for metal and wood. 200, 400, 600 etc.
For electronic part, all the material for.
For paint, Acrylic paint and car paint.